Friday, March 8, 2013

Lead poisoning

Happy Friday Y'all. Hope everyone had a good week and is ready for the weekend. I know i am. Hard week this week and just glad it's over.  
 Took my little one to the doctor to once again get his lead level checked. It's so hard to watch him go through this and not being able to really do anything about it. He has had Lead poisoning for the last 3 years or so. We get tested every 3 months and even though his level is not that high 7, i believe it is affecting his behavior.
Tommy at 1 year 





   Tommy was my oops baby. I believed in my heart of hearts that i was done. I had 2 kids that were in there teens and i no longer had to really worry about having to get a sitter anymore, i was free in a weird sort of way. 
   Well god's plan was very different. I became pregnant at 36 and it was hard. I became very depressed, and i had gestational diabetes, and i was just not a happy camper with this pregnancy. This was a very different feeling from my other pregnancies. 
   So back to Tommie's behavior. I asked the health department worker that came out to the house if his level could be affecting his behavior. Besides just being spoiled rotten, His "fits" we will call them , i noticed were getting worse, and that they became more frequent. Almost like a Jekyll & Hyde thing. One minute he is OK and then Bam flipping out over nothing. When i say flipping out i mean Hitting his head on the tile floor, throwing things, hitting himself etc. 
  When Tommy first started this i thought OK terrible 2's right. I asked his Pediatrician, other mother etc. I was looking on the internet for any possible answer. We had his blood tested at one of his doctor's appt. and it came back that his lead level was a 10. So they tested it again. Came back a 7. The doctor just said OK will keep an eye on this and test him every 3 months or so. 
   Ummmm excuse me what can we do about this??????????????? Hello my kid has lead poisoning and you are just going to keep an eye on this. I was shocked. My mother was shocked. we were all like what the hell. So when we got home we of course all started looking up and researching lead poisoning. the Facts, the myths, etc. 
    As i researched it more and more , the more i became more and more confused. Sensory overload i would call it. I wanted to test everything. i called my landlord and was mad, I totally over reacted of course putting all the blame on her and her home that i rent. It's older, built in like 1940 or so. So i figured that it was all the pipes and the 50 layers of paint on the walls, the floors, etc. I told her that i was gonna move, yeah right, and i wasn't going to pay rent until she fixed the pipes etc. Yeah right again.
Tommy at 3 years with his baby cousin Parker and Big sister Jenna .
   His lead levels were down  to a 3-4 since the last time we got tested, which was in October. So i believe that they are back up since his behavior is again outrageous. Back to hitting his head, himself, and others when he gets mad. I also think there is an underlying something besides the lead. His half brother and dad acted the same way i have been told. So the battle has just begun. I am willing to fight this with all my might. It has taken a toll on me already , but Tommy needs me to fight , and that's what I'm gonna do. I love him with all my might. This is my job. 
 It's not going to be easy by any means and with fighting depression myself, dealing with the out of control behavior of a 3 year old , it's going to be a big battle. But i believe that we will get through this. Together with lots of prayers, lots of praying, and lots of support from others we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment